Bottles when painted and used as décor items, add a little charm to the corner where they are placed.
Bottle Art is a vast subject and there are a lot of ways to decorate and paint these.
TIPS FOR PAINTING ON BOTTLES:
There are a couple of points one must keep in mind while painting on bottles:
- The surface of the bottles must be thoroughly cleaned before painting on them.
- It is always better to prime to start of with a bottle painting project, by applying a primer onto the bottle surface. The primer helps paint to firmly adhere to the surface of the bottle.
- It is always advisable to use a sponge to dab the first coat of paint onto the bottle. A sponge helps to attain a uniform coat of the paint on the surface of the bottle. When a brush is used to apply the base coat, the strokes of the bristles leave an impression on the bottle surface, which may make the project look untidy.
- Bottles once painted, have to be varnished to protect the art work done on it.
- Painted bottles are generally items of decor/ show pieces which can be used to place a small creeper or just as it is in a corner of the home. I personally wouldn’t use a painted bottle for storing something that I consume.
1.DOODLING ON BOTTLES:
The Simple Meditative technique of Doodling is one of easiest ways to decorate bottles. For these bottles, I have poured acrylic paint into the bottle and swirled it. Then, I have doodled various designs using Embossed Paint/3D paints.
2.IMPASTO TECHNIQUE ON BOTTLES:
Trees are beautiful subjects to work with on bottles. Be it colored trees, silhouettes, flowers, etc. For these bottles, I dabbed acrylic paints onto the bottles using a sponge. After allowing the base paint to dry, I used dimension paints to paint the trees.
3. MIXED MEDIA ON BOTTLES:
Mixed media is a wonderful painting technique where one can use and blend various mediums along with a few embellishments. To make these bottles, I stuck a few beads, embellishments and trinkets onto the bottle using craft glue. I then used Acrylic paint: Black as the base coat. After this, I used a sponge to dab Acrylic Pearl and Metallic Paints to give the bottles a shiny look.
4. ONE STROKE PAINTING ON BOTTLES:
One Stroke Painting is one of the easiest ways to decorate any surface. After applying a base coat using Acrylic paints, you can work with any One Stroke Painting design. This can be followed by outlining the designs using 3D liner/ Embossed Paints.
5. EMBELLISHED BOTTLES:
Embellished/Mixed Media bottles make amazing gifts for parties. I picked up Acrylic paints and randomly covered the surface of the bottle by sponge dabbing. After the base coat dried, I stuck embellishments such as paper flowers, fabric flowers, ribbons, buttons, etc., using craft glue.
6. FABRIC DECOUPAGE ON BOTTLES:
An ethnic touch can be added to bottles by using meditative Mandalas. I applied a base coat by gently sponge-dabbing a range of Acrylic Paints. Then, I decoupaged colored fabrics onto the glass bottles by gluing cut fabric pieces using Fabric Glue. I then enhanced the look of the bottles by adding finishing touches with 3D liners/ Embossed Paints.
7. SIMPLE ACRYLIC PAINTINGS ON BOTTLES:
You can create scenery and landscapes on bottles by just working on the bottles using acrylic paints of your choice.
8. STONE WORK ON BOTTLES:
Shiny stones and crystals add a festive and dazzling look to bottles. After dabbing acrylic paints onto these bottles using a sponge, I used Dimension paints to paint the trees. I then used craft glue to adhere decorative stones and crystals onto the bottles.
9. CUT OUTS TO DECORATE BOTTLES:
Various elements that have been cut out from paper, foam, jute, felt, canvas, etc. can be used to embellish bottles. For these bottles, I have adhered paper doilies (that I have cut using the Die Cut machine) onto painted bottles.
10. GALAXY PAINTED BOTTLES:
Its always fun to experiment with various colors onto surfaces that you wish to paint. Galaxy painting is one type of painting technique that gives you the liberty to just play with various colors from you palette. All you need to do is sponge-dab acrylic paints of your choice and then spray Acrylic white paint to give the cosmos effect. I went on to add some detailing using glitter paints and embellishments on a couple of these bottles.
11. BURLAP ON BOTTLES:
Burlap cords are pretty much the “in thing” right now and add an earthy look to craft projects. I have worked with burlap cords on these bottles by using craft glue. Following which, I have adhered a couple of flower embellishments onto the bottles.
Its always good to re-use and re-imagine things. You could probably add magic to and upcycle a bottle using various creative techniques. However, here are a list of a couple of things which you may want to pick for your craft projects:
- Glass Bottles can be picked up in bulk at Pure Kitchen Krafts on Avenue Road, Bangalore. You can also find glass bottles of various shapes and sizes at all physical Itsy Bitsy stores.
- A variety of embellishments, cutting Dies and the Die Cutting Machine- Dream Cut can be procured from Itsy Bitsy.
- Mahendra Novelties in Raja Market on Avenue road, Bangalore is also a great option to find a variety of embellishments to use on your projects.
Looks like you’ve got your creative juices flowing too!! Do share your queries, tips and creative projects with me in the comments section. I would love to hear from you.